Claim Advice

When you first discover you’re going to have to make an insurance claim, our expert guidance will give you a better chance of success.

Here’s some good advice to help get your claim off to the best start.

When you discover that something’s gone wrong, it can be difficult to know what to do – and what not to do. So follow our helpful guidance, and don’t hesitate to call us on 03330 107169 (Open from 9am – 5:30pm).

If you need to call the police

You will need to judge whether 999 is appropriate – perhaps if a crime is still in progress, or with a serious road accident. If not, but you still need to contact the police (see our guidance below), 101 is the national number to use for things like reporting a crime, a vehicle theft, damage to property, minor traffic collisions, etc.

General guidance

  • Any witnesses could make all the difference, so ask for their names and contact details.
  • If possible, take photographs before the scene changes, and preserve any CCTV evidence you may have.
  • It can be surprisingly difficult to remember what happened and the sequence of events (especially if you’ve had a bit of a shock). Try to write it all down as soon as possible, providing as much detail as you can.
  • Take every step to protect your business without relying on your insurance. This avoids any suggestion that you didn’t take sufficient steps to reduce your losses, etc.
  • If required, complete a claim form and provide all the claims documents and evidence as soon as possible.

Handling an accident

  • Never admit liability (i.e. never say you were at fault), or promise to make any payments to anyone.
  • If you receive any solicitors’ letters or court proceedings, don’t respond to them or even acknowledge receipt. Instead, just forward them to either Jonathan Davies or Claire Richards and they will take care of it.
  • Under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations), any work-related dangerous incidents or accidents may need to be reported to the HSE, even if no one has been personally injured. Check the RIDDOR website for more information.

How to handle property damage

  • Keep any damaged property secure, and try to minimise any loss by acting as if you were uninsured. You can immediately arrange emergency repairs to secure your property (eg boarding-up) or make it watertight.
  • Try to take photographs before the scene changes.
  • If your claim concerns theft or malicious damage, under your policy you MUST promptly report it to the police and get a crime number.
  • If you’re a tenant, any claims for damage to the building must be made to your landlord’s insurers but always tell us about any possible claim. If your insurance covers your trade contents, stock and any improvements you’ve made to the building, but not the building.

Dealing with motor-related incidents

  • The driver must exchange details with any third parties, and particulars of any witnesses should be recorded.
  • The circumstances (timing, location, etc) should be noted, along with the road and weather conditions. If possible, comprehensive photos should be taken before the scene changes.
  • The police should be informed if an accident involves:
    - anyone being injured
    - a third party failing to stop
    - damage to any third-party property (including such things as garden walls, street lamps or signs, bollards, etc)
    - if your vehicle has been stolen or broken into (and ensure you get a crime number).

Don’t hesitate to call us

Contact John Davies or Claire Richards on
03330 107169
How to make a claim.